counter easy hit Luepp - A Digital Storyteller's Notepad: My Little Caproni Trilogy Part III

dinsdag, november 29, 2005

My Little Caproni Trilogy Part III

To complete the series of posts on Caproni, I shall add some information which I think is indicative of the large extent to which the Caproni factory was involved in the development of the jet airplane. We have already seen that the weird looking "Stipa" should be seen in the experimental light of future developments. It now turns out - because I am posting things as I go along, which is great fun even if it will appear to be rather frivolous to most readers - that Caproni would soon be involved in an even more ambitious and avantgarde experiment.


The CC2 during a flight acceptancy test (photo National Museum of Science and Technology "Leonardo Da Vinci, Milano)

From 1934 onwards, the Caproni factory at Taleido teamed up with engineer Secondo Campini in building and testing the pioneer jet which, though originally conceived by Campini, bore both their names. The first succesful flights of the Campini-Caproni (hybrid) jet aeroplane date from 1940. I gladly refer to a short history on this aeroplane written by Aldo Curti and published on the website of the National Museum of Science and Technology "Leonardo Da Vinci" in Milano.


The CC2 during a ground test (photo National Museum of Science and Technology "Leonardo Da Vinci, Milano)

I note that the machine was apparently still a hybrid rather than a jet true an proper, "using a traditional piston engine, combined with a compressor, combustion chambers and exhaust system, the power coming from an afterburner" (quoting, as if I actually understood the implacations of thyese words, Philip Stevens from his webpage on the Italian Air Force Museum at Vigna di Valle.


One of the two extant prototypes, a CC1 which actually flew apparently, is on display in the Italian Air Force Museum at Vigna di Valle (photo by Philip Stevens).

This is a beautiful machine if you ask me. But I promise you: I'll bother you with a Macchi Folgore before long because that aeroplane is simply too beautiful!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anoniem said...

Although I've enjoyed your short stories on the Caproni airplanes and the Campini-Caproni, which is truly a very beautiful plane, I must confess that the Macchi Folgore is of classic Italian design.
She is as beautiful and elegant as a Ferrari, only slightly less known, but surely as fast!

7:41 p.m.  
Blogger TwigtSenior said...

It must be me, but I don't seem to be able to find this Macchi Folgore in this post. Will it be posted in tha near future?

8:55 p.m.  

Een reactie posten

<< Home